Re: [VIC] Stack Talk December 1999

david@dezzanet.net.au wrote:

> In my opinion the Healesville line would be perfect:
>
> 1. It's still attached to the main line;
> 2. Long enough for a day trip, but loops are still in place at Yarra Glen and Coldstream for shuttle trips;
> 3. It's close to Melbourne, and tourism in the Yarra Valley is booming; and
> 4. The infrastructure is still in place, such as stations, and loco servicing facilities at Healesville.
>
> This would address a number of problems alluded to in Keith's artcle. Sooner or later Steamrail are going to run out of places to run, and despite their efforts, the YVTR clearly don't have the resources to run trains on this line.
>
> Obviously there would need to be a lot of work done to enable this to happen, but this is the kind of proposal that needs to be considered now. As a resident of the Yarra Valley I keep hearing rumours about the locals wanting to turn the Healesville line into a rail trail.
>
> I would be interested to hear what others think

I think that Healesville should give up. I think Castlemaine - Maldon is the perfect choice.

1. It is still connected to the main line.
2. The line is only 10 miles, this is about the limit for a tourist railway. It is also a complete branch line with a junction from the main line.
3. The VGR is already established and running steam hauled trains.
4. It is within driving distance of Melbourne. Day trips can also include the CHTR, ie: ride the railmotors in the morning and steam in the afternoon.
5. The Bendigo line will probably be one of the last to be gauge converted.
6. The Goldfields region is a major tourist area.
7. Steam hauled day trips could be run with an R class to Castlemaine and a branch line loco to Maldon. It could be marketed similar to the Steamranger "Southern Encounter" trips before the line was converted to standard gauge through the Adelaide hills.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au