Re: "lost" trains

nobody wrote:

> The Beresfield crash happened in an area with electric signals (interesting to
> note the arm meant to trip the brakes of a train which could have stopped the
> beresfield incident isnt on that line even though it is one of the most busy
> and has the heaviest trains in NSW).

Trains stops wouldn't have made a difference in the Beresfield crash, even if
they were installed trackside because Locomotives aren't fitted with trip arms.
I don't think the 620 Class & Endeavour railcars that are in service in the
Hunter Valley are fitted with them either.

> The 1988 incident where an interurban hit a train hauled by 3801 on the Cowan
> Bank was apparently blamed on the use of sand on the locomotive preventing any
> short circuit. Perhaps the old rail grinders that used to be attached to
> trains could see service again! Not that a complete check of every wheel in
> NSW would go astray.

Cowan Bank incident was in 1990. Aren't Locomotives now required to have a sand
blower fitted to blow away old sand?

Jon Lau