"lost" trains

with regard to trains, light engines etc "disappearing" from track diagrams, I
wonder if the sensitivity (or shunting) of track circuit relays might be
significant?

Perhaps shunting of the track by wet dirty ballast could cause false operation
of signals and "corrective action" involving reducing the sensitivity of the
relays might result in "lost" trains or intermittent false operation of
signals.

Also, is it significant that such events appear to occur (in NSW at least) in
the electrified area? (Perhaps there are no track circuits outside of the
electrified area - I wouldn't have thought that to be the case.)

Keith G Malcolm
23 Dec 99