Re: MUDGEE LINE

In article <83qfc2$om8$1@lios.apana.org.au>,
C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote:
>In <01bf4b10$d31e4700$463c65cb@dialup.ozemail.com.au> "RAILPH" <phihel@one.net.au> writes:
>
>>Can anyone tell me what is happening to the between Mudgee & Kandos?
>>because 9 weeks ago I was in Mudgee & I visited the station & saw some
>>steel sleepers in the yard plus I heard that they are repairing the first
>>bridge out of Mudgee.
>
>The line is being re-opened soon, following on from last Friday's re-opening
>of the line between Cowra and Blayney. It's pleasing to see investment being
>made in non-trunk cross-country lines since it's these lines which serve as
>important arterial routes in emergencies, etc. as well as giving many 'new'
>(meaning old but lost, as well as genuinely new) traffic opportunities.

 It will have absolutely nothing with logical investment in the country
rail network. Its that big 5 rings event in Sydney next year.

 As soon as the partys over in Sydney and the through traffic can get
past Homebush, those lines will go straight back into 'Services suspended'
status.

 A month of superfrieghters will probably pound the track to bits anyway,
and shortly after services will be suspended on account of the track being
in poor condition again.

 Of course if the track does survive there is small window where a short-line
operator might be able to get in and save the track for minimal cost.