Re: Return of Its Academic!

No to the first one, but yes to the second.  At Brighton (SA) and Olympic Park
(and only at those two stations as far as I know, a train can be at two
platforms at the same time, and this is used in regular service.  Glanville had
this too until the Semaphore line closed in 1978(?).  As I understand it, at
Olympic Park this is because of high volume traffic so that one side is exit and
the other is entrance, at Brighton there is a centre track between two island
plaforms which serves as the terminating track for Adelaide to Brighton locals
providing cross-platform interchange with both up and down expresses (very neat
really).  At Glanville it was a similar setup but the centre track was the
terminating point for the Semaphore branch shuttle.

A further clue for Q7 - note that the are all (very) rural locations.