Re: [VIC] Level crossing accident: High St Reservoir

> Its another example of the safety problems of level crossings. The one
> at Reservoir is a nightmare and should be removed.
>
> Vaughan

Don't often have a funny level crossing accident, but I had one at Resevoir
many years ago.
I was approaching from about 1 km out when I noticed the home signal
protecting the crossing
drop back, the old semaphore broke a cable, I thought, but did the right
thing, and fully applied the brake,
with no hope of stopping at it. As I sailed past at about 30 kph, I noticed
what the Signalman had.
A XM Falcon Sedan was parked on the Crossing! I was hanging on the whistle
[actually leaning on it, I think]
as I sailed past the Ford, He must have managed to move it almost clear.The
stirrup step on the front of the
Silver use to point outwards in those days, and the one on the left neatly
removed the bolts from the bumper bar, which then fell to the road. The cab
of the Hitachi finally came to a stand at the platform, and I am pleased to
report that the rest of the train was still hanging on to it. I went back to
see the driver of the XM still sitting behind the wheel staring without
blinking straight ahead, and refusing point blank to notice or interact with
me
in any way. Fearing a heart attack or something I lent into the car to find
a pulse which I found, only to find myself almost knocked over by the worst
stink I have ever smelt!
Our motorist had shat himself, and remained locked into that position, even
after the coppers arrived and let me continue on my way. He was still
sitting behind the wheel as the Tow truck winched him up, as I departed the
scene
Cheers
Rod