Re: [VIC] Langwariin -sparks??

Sounds like someone want another Puffing Billy on the peninsula!!!

"Richard" <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote in message
385C221B.FFAC79E0@primus.com.au">news:385C221B.FFAC79E0@primus.com.au...
> Probably reality dictates that any New Mornington station be commenced on
the inner side of Npn Hwy...with ped bridge to
> other side..maybe OK.
> Now Im no expert on tourist railways..so Ill await the inevitable
corrections!!...but I could only imagine that regular
> operations of timetable trains be nothing if not a coup for this
line.....A clever (and I mean clever, lateral, forward
> thinking, glass is half full types!) would see this as an amazing
opportunity to consolidate their opportunities and
> raise the bar of what they could achieve.;
> The Mornington Peninsula area . is a bomb of potential awaiting its
ignition!!
> A regular tourist railway operation tied in with bus tours, winery tours,
other places of interest, holiday crowds, the
> in-crowd etc etc. What other tourist lines would have such a captive
audience??
> Lets think "dinner trains"  and Lunch time ones...featuring food and wines
of the region ..tied into tours of the
> originating producers!!  Think outside of the box here...could be a gold
mine for a clever operator...dont fight the
> extra use of the rail...exploit it!!
>
> With the fairly decent amount of good hotel rooms in Frankston...the Lunch
and Dinner specials could originate in
> Frankston...even stop at the "sheds" at Moorooduc etc.
> Geez...if westcoast can turn aline to profit and bring back regular steam,
then there is no reason that the application
> of similar positivity could not realize a splendid result.
> Steam Railfanning is big business worldwide..and this could be another
jewel in Victoria's crown!!

> John Cleverdon wrote:
> >
> > Richard wrote:
> >
> > > <snip>
> > > Tis a real shame that Mornington got ripped as this was such a logical
progression...sparks to Mornington with existing
> > > local hauled to Frankston...maybe still is.
> > >
> > > Anyone know what is the current state of affairs (disrepairs!!) re
Mornington...is it totally impractical to consider a
> > > re-establishmnet of rail into town centre or near to.
> > > Frankston is/has been /becoming more of a regional hub...existing bus
coneections are inadeqaute and dont suit
> > > many....older...handicapped/other...young  etc.
> > > Existing Heritage ail operations need not be a hindrance indee can be
part of the attraction.
> > > Given the vast sums wasted on silly things I would think that like
some other deserving areas that the Peninsula could
> > > really transform itself better and quicker witha good dose of
infrastructure improvements

> > At Mornington, the Nepean Highway is the limit, because of construction
over the reservation in several places on the down
> > side of the highway. As well, there is the new shopping centre going in
on the site of the former Mornington station
> > (depsite much local opposition). The only way in now would be to build a
tunnel, and of course that would be $$$$$

> > Also, the Mornington Railway Preservation Society already runs between
Mooooduc station and Yuilles Rd (just on the up side
> > of the highway), so I don't know what they would think of someone else
coming in :-).

> > One problem I see with the Mornington line is that becuase it is not
direct (unlike the highway), the travelling times are
> > lengthened, thus making it less competitive.
> >
> > IMHO, the loco-hauled service between Frankston and Stony Point should
also be replaced by a Sprinter (or similar) if
> > possible, as this will free up the motive power for somewhere else.
> >
> > The ideal situation would be to have a dual diesel-electric train that
could run electric to Frankston, and then diesel to
> > Stony Point/Mornington (but then this is just wishful thinking). A
similar setup could be useful for Pakenham/Warragul (and