Re: [VIC] Langwariin -sparks??

Richard wrote:

> <snip>
> Tis a real shame that Mornington got ripped as this was such a logical progression...sparks to Mornington with existing
> local hauled to Frankston...maybe still is.
>
> Anyone know what is the current state of affairs (disrepairs!!) re Mornington...is it totally impractical to consider a
> re-establishmnet of rail into town centre or near to.
> Frankston is/has been /becoming more of a regional hub...existing bus coneections are inadeqaute and dont suit
> many....older...handicapped/other...young  etc.
> Existing Heritage ail operations need not be a hindrance indee can be part of the attraction.
> Given the vast sums wasted on silly things I would think that like some other deserving areas that the Peninsula could
> really transform itself better and quicker witha good dose of infrastructure improvements

At Mornington, the Nepean Highway is the limit, because of construction over the reservation in several places on the down
side of the highway. As well, there is the new shopping centre going in on the site of the former Mornington station
(depsite much local opposition). The only way in now would be to build a tunnel, and of course that would be $$$$$

Also, the Mornington Railway Preservation Society already runs between Mooooduc station and Yuilles Rd (just on the up side
of the highway), so I don't know what they would think of someone else coming in :-).

One problem I see with the Mornington line is that becuase it is not direct (unlike the highway), the travelling times are
lengthened, thus making it less competitive.

IMHO, the loco-hauled service between Frankston and Stony Point should also be replaced by a Sprinter (or similar) if
possible, as this will free up the motive power for somewhere else.

The ideal situation would be to have a dual diesel-electric train that could run electric to Frankston, and then diesel to
Stony Point/Mornington (but then this is just wishful thinking). A similar setup could be useful for Pakenham/Warragul (and
other lines?).

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Land Titles Automation Project - Beveridge & Williams, Melbourne