Re: re-opening of the Cowra-Blayney line tomorrow... as per STN 49/1999

In article <GjJ64.5072$Dh3.77676@ozemail.com.au> "Ray McDermott" <raymcd@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: "Ray McDermott" <raymcd@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: re-opening of the Cowra-Blayney line tomorrow... as per STN 49/1999
>Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 21:07:45 +1100

>--
>Ray McDermott   raymcd@ozemail.com.au
>Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message >
>>
>> Anyone know what classes of locos are allowed over the line , (are NRs
>> allowed) and is the junction at Blayney manually operated or have the
>motor
>> points at the junction been recommisioned,(I beleive that Blayney was
>> originally remotely controlled from Orange.)
>> Hopefully also Demondrille Box will be re-opened on a full time basis.

>I wonder how useful this line is to NR without the triangle at Demondrille.
>Any moves to reinstate it?  (Similar question applies to Gulgong and Wang).
>Ray

Its not very useful at all.
Having to go down the hill to Harden , run round and then climb straight back
up will be a nightmare (worst 1:40 on the main south.) ,especially for trains
of any reasonable length.
Harden is not well equipped for turning long trains,in its short yard.
Its weird why the southern leg of Demondrille and the crossover were ever
removed in the first place.
OK very few trains ever used the triangle leg,but
the same situation exists forthe north leg of the Junee triangle which is
still there.
Reinstating Demondrille will not be cheap.
The southern end is to far to be worked by rodding from the existing unmanned
Signal box ,so we would be looking at 3 new power points, a crossover,arrival
signals for the main and branch.
A cheaper option may be ground frames,really depends on the traffic.
Maybe its time RAC decided what to do with the Harden South - Wallandbeen DLB
section,as its too long given that Demondrille is now permanantly unnattended
for main line movements.

MD