Re: [VIC]How to Express yourself (WAS Re: [VIC] Epping line 10/12/99)

Cam wrote:

> Doesn't Hurstbridge & Epping have access to 2 more platforms that everyone else
> don't?
> Platform 14 ( read FSS Platform 1 East ) and Platform 1 West.

Platform 1W can only hold 3 cars and be clear at both ends so during the day the
Epping and Hurstbridge services can use 1 and 14(1E), Burnley group get platforms 2
& 3 (and 4 during the peaks), the Caulfield group gets 6, 7, 8, 9,10 and 12
(including Sandringham trains) and the Northern Group gets 4 & 5 (or 5 & 10 in the
peaks.

> Platform 14 has been used extensively recently and you can bypass a Platform 1
> Centre service around Platform 14.
> Why don't some of the peak services go direct to FSS anymore? As Hillside says
> in its FAQ, FSS is the busiest station in Melbourne.

A decision was made many years ago that Flinders Street should not be the major city
station. When the City Loop was proposed it was decided that Flinders Street should
become just a 20 second stop like Merri. The reduction in the flexibility of
Flinders Street was part of this. (Also Federation Square)

> The express services are always packed and the new "shopper" expresses ( e.g.
> expresses before the afternoon peak on Hurstbridge ) are an improvement.
> For next year maybe further introductions & alterations will be introduced.  The
> "overworked employee" expresses that happens after 6pm.  The "Clifton Hill
> Shuttle", 3 car consist travels between CH & FSS therefore allowing Epping
> services to run express as well.  The 3 cars could be turned by going to
> Westgarth(Platform1),  Rushall (with a new crossover being installed) or a new
> purpose built siding.

Terminating trains at Westgarth is not a signalled move and as such is taboo.

> I wonder if both train operators asked for peoples' 5 best improvements.  They
> would only have to ask the dedicated people on this group to get quite a large
> brainstorming session going.
>
> One last question - Why has Platform 1 West been left out of the FSS tidyup?

See above
David G.