Re: [VIC] Epping line 10/12/99

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> > New timetable posters are up at Epping line stations and the major
> > improvements are the 4 up trains daily wich run express CHL - JLI (the
> > 0826 up and theree trains in a row b/n 1630 and 1730). This is step in
> > the right direction. All we need now is a few peak trains in both
> > directions running express TSN - RES - PRE - CHL - JLI!!
>
> Certainly the right direction, but they should have done the off peak
> frequency first.

Yes, the off peak definately does need to be fixed. Perhaps a 15 min
service, with crosses at Lalor, not Keon Park.

> According to the Hillside media release which was sent to us, the three
> afternoon peak expresses aren't mentioned.

They aren't mentioned in the front of the timetable either!

> I don't know about expresses past CHL on the epping line. The line is
> so bendy just before CHL that it isn't worth it,

Perhaps Express TSN - RES - PRE - MER?

> and some of the
> stations (like Croxton and Thornbury) are in the wrong places. How
> about:
> *Improve offpeak frequency to 15 minutes as the first step towards a
> ten minute service.

YES!!

> *Move Croxton a few hundred metres north to sit between Woolton and
> Normanby Av's, providing a transfer point for the buses along Normanby
> while still providing access to its namesake pub

> *Move Thornbury slightly north to provide access from the Miller St

> tram bridge (which with re-organised tram operations should carry the

> Bundoora tram) while retaining the pedestrian access from Hutton St. It
> might not even need to be moved, an walkway from the bridge may be
> enough.

Lazy Person!! Thornbury is only 250m from Normanby Av and 200m from the Tram
Hump!!
I agree that Bundoora trams should use St G's Rd and the tram hump.

> *Then could run two sets of trains all day, each with a 10 minute
> frequency:
>  - stopping all stations from reservoir
>  - express preston - thornbury - northcote - CHL - jolimont from epping.

Yes! Off peak expresses are needed!

> Rushall could probably be removed if the old colonists refuse to reopen
> their rear entrance to the station (since theyre really the only people
> that have ever used Rushall, and nobody uses it now).

Don't let my friends who live in Clifton Hill hear you say that!! I have a
Grandmother in the Old Colonists and she would start a protest if they
removed Rushall!!

> I'm also slightly concerned at the lack of service to the four stations
> between Jolimont and Clifton Hill. If three epping trains in a row are
> expressing through them in the peak, they'll only get the stoppers on
> the hurstbridge line. How many of those are there?

In the afternoon Ex CHL:

1645 ex GRN: SAS
1655 ex  HBE: Exp CHL - JLI
1658 ex  EPP: Exp CHL - JLI
1702 ex GRN: SAS
1712 ex  EPP: Exp CHL - JLI
1716 ex  ELT: Exp CHL - JLI
1718 ON???: SAS
1724 ex EPP: Exp CHL - JLI
1726 ON???: SAS

On the PTT, it looks as if the 1718 and the 1726 services commence at CHL!

Sam Eades