Re: [VIC] Epping line 10/12/99

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> [...]
> > Hump!!
> > I agree that Bundoora trams should use St G's Rd and the tram hump.
>
> 250 metres is too far (I think its closer to 300, too) when youre
> asking people to transfer from bus to train. Bus stops need to be as
> close as possible to the station (<25m) and arranged to avoid or
> minimise a need to cross roads or get rained on. Thats what
> a "seamless" system is all about.
>
> The bundoora trams should use StGRd but should *not* go all the way
> down Brunswick St. They should turn at either Holden St or Alexandra
> Pde to head into the city along Nicholson St.
>
> > Don't let my friends who live in Clifton Hill hear you say that!! I
> have a
> > Grandmother in the Old Colonists and she would start a protest if they
> > removed Rushall!!
>
> Well yes - I'd be happy to leave it and just express a few trains
> through it provided the Old Colonists agree to re-open their rear
> entrance. The lazy persons in clifton hill (OC's not included, as they
> are elderly and have good reason to prefer not to take a long walk)
> have a short walk to CHL or to the St Georges Rd or Queens Pde trams.
>
> Also, the suggestion that Rushall could be removed is my opinion only
> and does not necessarily reflect that of the PTUA. In fact, it doesn't
> necessarily reflect my opinion as I could easily be persuaded out of it.
>
> > 1645 ex GRN: SAS
> > 1655 ex  HBE: Exp CHL - JLI
> > 1658 ex  EPP: Exp CHL - JLI
> > 1702 ex GRN: SAS
> > 1712 ex  EPP: Exp CHL - JLI
> > 1716 ex  ELT: Exp CHL - JLI
> > 1718 ON???: SAS
> > 1724 ex EPP: Exp CHL - JLI
> > 1726 ON???: SAS
> >
> > On the PTT, it looks as if the 1718 and the 1726 services commence at
> CHL!
>
> mmm.. thats not too bad, and it looks like they have bothered to have
> the expresses leaving just before the stoppers (makes for easy transfer
> for people heading to the in betweens)
>
> I'd like the following basic service level, all running every 10
> minutes. Its not all practical until some single track sections are
> duped, but here it is:
> 1. Stopping all stations from reservoir
> 2. Stopping all stations from Greensborough or Macleod
> 3. Express from Epping running exp. Res - Pre - T'bury - N'cote - CHL -
> J'mont
> 4. Express from H/bridge or Eltham running exp. H'burg - I'hoe - FFD(?)
> CHL - J'mont
>
> If the Doncaster line comes into it, some of the expresses would stop
> at Vic Park. I think D'caster should be light rail though.
>
> THis gives you four trains on a ten minute cycle. Thats one ever 2.5
> through the loop (easy).
>
> In the peak extra trains can be added according to demand at one per
> ten minute cycle, squeezing the loop to a 2 minute headway (which is
> also fine for a short period - any delays can be made up gradually by

In your dreams!

A proper timetable has to be designed with trains travelling on the best
aspect i.e.Top Green. In the underground this takes up to 3m30s to achieve
without any margins. If you want to design services go to the most congested
areas and see how long it takes for signalls to clear after the passage of
trains. Average these figures for each location over about 2 hours each of
Morning Peak, Evening peak and off peak and you get a workable basis for
your suggestions.
David G.