Melb destination rolls

Lineman wrote:

> I think this is one of those How long is a piece of string jobs,and we may
> never get the definitive answer.
> According to "The electric railways of Victoria"compiled by S Dornan and R
> Henderson 1979c
> Appendix111,they show the destination rolls for Tait(approx1940s),Harris
> (2nd series),and Stainless steel (Hitatchi) and guess what, No Carnegie,yet
> like you John I m sure I have seen Carnegie.
> I can well remember that they where modified over the years with whole
> sections taken out and sewn back to gether again,so perhaps bits got left
> out and others where bastardised in other ways.
> May be the swing door cars had another version as well,I don't know.

Until the duplication at Rosanna in 1958, some trains used to terminate
at Rosanna.  The driver would walk to the end of the platform to turn
off the wig-wag at Lower Plenty Road.

The trains definitely had ROSANNA on the destination, and as they were
usually swing door, then there must have been a different version of the
destination roll.
--
Judy Gordon
School of Biological & Chemical Sciences