Victorian numbering (was: [VIC] S301 back in service?)

Just further to this, it is interesting to note that the Victorian diesel S
class carried the same numbers as the steam S class (well, the first 4 did,
then they kept going).

Was this standard practice? When the start reusing a letter, do they start
reusing the same number series as well?

As I do not have a list of Victorian steam locos available, I cannot check,
so I am throwing it over to you extremely wise and knowledgable people.

Dave