Re: [VIC] S301 back in service?

Dave Proctor said on 08-Dec-1999 in <82kngq$hht$1@news1.mpx.com.au>:

>NOOOOOOO! Say it isn't so. I would have thought that a loco as important
>to the country as the Victorian steam S class would have had at least
>one example preserverd.

Nup. All scrapped. Victorian governments have always been like that. Take
something out of service and scrap it so it can't be brought back. Some of
the S class tender bogies however were preserved for use on heavy transport
flat or well top wagons, which were used for transporting large
transformers to Gippsland I believe. The rest of the loco however, probably
drives you around on the road (or part thereof) or holds cat food.

>(btw, I think it was an absolute disgrace that one was not preserved.
>Wouldn't it be a sight to see a WallyRail train with a streamlined S up
>the front!)

Yes, it would be nice, however I don't think the S class would be a loco
that you could strip of it's VR livery without making it look pathetic. You
would also need the matching rollingstock to keep is consistant. You could
of course have "WEST COAST RAILWAYS" in an art deco typeface on the side of
the loco without ruining it's appearance.

Say, I hear that Dorrigo have a few 38's laying around that we could
convert to replica S's :-) Or or or, we could always tap into the strategic
reserve beneath Flagstaff station where I heard that the steam S classes
are stored :-)

Ahh, it's nice to dream aint it.

Regards
Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski
Ph: 0416-044-124

<oldie>If you shoot a mime, do you use a silencer?</oldie>