Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

> Except that it *may* have served as a reminder to the driver that he was
> passing a red signal, and he *may* have been travelling a bit slower
> (because of the reminder) and he *may* have had ttime to stop.

I don't think so. Trips are not there as a reminder. They are there to
prevent unauthorized passing of signals at stop. The reason why they are
used in Sydney and Melbourne Metropolitan areas is because of the high
traffic in those areas. When I left State Rail last year the trip areas were
1. Northern Line - Last trip was Cowan home signal on the down (before the
platform) and Cowan home on the up (at the platform)
2. Southern Line - Macarthur station. In fact they have had a permanent trip
at the southern end. Thou this may have been removed
3. Illawarra Line - Helensburgh Home Starting signals on the down and
Helensburgh home signal at the up end of the platform.
4. Western Line - Emu Plains Starting signal on the down and Penrith accept
on the up. With the new signalling at Penrith the accepting signal was moved
to the first signal that you encounter on the straight coming into Emu
plains.
5. Goods Line - The goods line has no trips except for some isolated
signals.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Richard