Re: Rail + Safety Records

Blue Mountains road toll for November:
14/11/99 Faulconbridge. 2 injured in head-on
14/11/99 Kings Plains 3 dead, 2 critically injured in head-on
21/11/99 Mt Boyce 4 dead, 4 injured in 4 car pile-up
25/11/99 Blackheath. 1 dead, 1 injured in semi-trailer head-on

I still feel safer in a train!!

David Martin
Blue Mountains Railway Pages
www.info.mountains.net.au/rail

David Guymer <davidmg@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
38473869.C68C1E17@optusnet.com.au">news:38473869.C68C1E17@optusnet.com.au...

> Bill wrote:
>
> > Rail is in fact inherently unsafe. Heavy vehicles travelling at speed on
fixed
> > tracks, unable to swerve or brake quickly, cannot be inherently safe.
What
> > makes rail safe is eternal vigilance, to ensure that the infrastructure,
the
> > rolling stock, the people, and the rules that bind them together into
the rail
> > system are all in good shape. Well-designed inspections, proper
maintenance,
> > correct training and retraining, supervision that emphasises correct
> > standards, underpinned by a prudent level of capital investment will
keep a
> > rail system safe. Over-emphasis on profitability, cost-cutting, and
> > productivity can result in a rise in accidents and incidents if
preventive
> > measures and defences are weakened by staff cuts and procedural changes.
> >
> > I think this is Australia's thrid collision in 6 months, is it not? And
Tranz