Re: Rail + Safety Records

Working in the Rail Safety Industry myself, I would have to say that every
system is as good as the money you spend on it. Or in other words, somewhere
in  probably every rail organisation there is an accountant drawing up the
budgets for area's without any technical know how or input. So I guess
anything that has anything to do with the government these days is probably
extremely risky.
Regards

Rob

Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote in message
> Up until fairly recently there was always good ground for the argument
that travelling by rail was far far safer than by
> air. Now also arguably some of the recent comings together of iron horses
were of the freight variety...but that
> aside...what s with all theses collisions??
> Is it simply down to the fragmentation and privatisation of the the
industry...folks going where they wouldn't have
> before...so going into some relatively unfamiliar territory...having said
that, I do realise that the crews must be
> trained for that line, and invariably are experienced on them from past
employ, but maybe not all of the infrastructure
> management is as cluey when working new areas??
>
> Or is it all down to some mysterious aspect as a result of the alignment
of planets!!
> Funny they can align planets and they cant align points!!
> But its not funny is it!!
>
> I only have a lay appreciation of the machinations of this industry. Im
only an interested looker-on.

> I am interested in the views of those learned in the industry, indeed its
workers. How do you all feel about this recent