Re: Rail + Safety Records

Richard wrote:

> Up until fairly recently there was always good ground for the argument
> that travelling by rail was far far safer than by air.

	It would seem to be a local to Australia phenomenon, then.
	Elsewhere, world wide, passenger safety, rail vs air is
	roughly the same for both modes, deaths/mile (per km...)
	basis.  (I've got the numbers...)  I'd assume equivalent
	numbers for Australia re available.  (Cars, autos are roughly
	10x worse....  Elsewhere, varying from country to country...)

> Now also arguably some of the recent comings together of iron horses
> were of the freight variety...but that aside...what s with all theses
>collisions??

	IS there a change?  really?  Long term averages?

	If so, it could be a statistical blip.  Rail is (relatively)
	quite safe.  Needs long term numbers to see if there is a trend..
	Once there is a trend (if there is one...) then looking for causes
	makes, i should think, more sense...

--
thanks
dave pierson			|the facts, as accurately as i can manage,