Re: Rail + Safety Records

Rail is in fact inherently unsafe. Heavy vehicles travelling at speed on fixed
tracks, unable to swerve or brake quickly, cannot be inherently safe. What
makes rail safe is eternal vigilance, to ensure that the infrastructure, the
rolling stock, the people, and the rules that bind them together into the rail
system are all in good shape. Well-designed inspections, proper maintenance,
correct training and retraining, supervision that emphasises correct
standards, underpinned by a prudent level of capital investment will keep a
rail system safe. Over-emphasis on profitability, cost-cutting, and
productivity can result in a rise in accidents and incidents if preventive
measures and defences are weakened by staff cuts and procedural changes.

I think this is Australia's thrid collision in 6 months, is it not? And Tranz
Rail in NZ had a bad one (loco engineer killed) in September. Four in
Australasia in 6 months? Statistical blip?

Bill