Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

keithm@commslab.gov.au (Dave Malcolm) wrote:

> If Penrith didn't know the IP had cleared the section why did they allow the
> IC to proceed? If that is what occured.

Did you see the bit about "called Penrith signal box, which has no
direct control or monitoring over the signal".  The area in which the
accident occured is "dark territory" as far as any remote visibility
at Penrith box.

There may well be a valid question which can be asked about why the
signal phones concerned connect to a box which has no control or
visibility of the signal/sections concerned, but that is an issue for
the various official inquiries to determine.

It is my understanding that under the circumstances, initiation of the
operational rules for passing signals at danger - which include
provision for a "something" being in the section ahead and so mandate
operation such that a stop should be able to be made clear of any
obstruction - would be the only practical recourse available to the
signaller at Penrith.

Cheers,

Bill