Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

Rod Gayford wrote in message <82a03m$ms7$1@merki.connect.com.au>...
>Well, how come the V set hit at 50 KPH if correct procedures are being
>followed.

Where did I say they were. All I said was that nobody in there right mind
would have told a driver to "ignore" the signals. They would have told the
driver to proceed under the correct procedures.

For what was suggested to have happened to actually happen, both the
signaller and the driver would have had to have ignored the rules, and this
I find difficult to believe.

> If Glenbrook station was manned at that time surely the station
>staff could have told the driver of the V set that the IP had just left at
>crawl or is that not their job.

They are station staff. They are there to issue tickets, help passengers. I
am not sure of the safeworking procedures there, nor I am I sure if there
are safeworking staff there. Chances are they did not even know the IP had
been through.

> Procedures followed to the nth degree can
>lead to disaster. A bit of commonsense and discretion is called for. Its
>still all too horrible to contemplate.

How can following procedures, as opposed to not following them, lead to
disaster?

Dave