Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:10:38 +1100, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote:

>Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
>82499h$o5a$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:82499h$o5a$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
>> Further to this:
>>
>> I did not attempt to get anywhere near the accident scene, but from what I
>> could see, there were 5 ambulances parked on the highway, and 20 in the
>park
>> opposite the highway. Whilst driving back to Penrith, we passed at least
>> another 6 ambulances, as well as several HazMat fire brigade vehicles.
>>
>> Sky News will be on in a moment - will give the latest update from that
>> ASAP.
>
>Sky News suspended normal programming and are switching back and forth
>between the collision and the ABA Cash for Comment inquiry.
>
>11am update - 6 confirmed dead and 25 injured. The Indian-Pacific was
>apparently stopped when the 0639 train from Lithgow collided with the rear
>of the train.
>
>Police have placed an air-exclusion zone over the scene. The terrain is
>hampering radio communications, and the banning of aircraft will help in
>this.
>
>Fortunately, the IP was only a single consist, so the composition from the
>rear was: motorail wagon, power van, crew car, sleeper - so there were three
>cars between the rear of the train and the first passenger vehicle. The crew
>car *should* have been empty at that time of day. In double consist mode,
>the crew car is normally at the other end of the car.
>
>Some media comments: they really do not have a clue. John Mangos (talking to
>a GSR rep): "Can you confirm that the Inidan Pacific was on the same track
>as the passenger train" - of course it was, it was there on vision for all
>to see. Justin Kelly (2UE reporter): "There were over 1000 people on the
>train."

Oh yes, for sure. Now the inane, irrelevant, ignorant, stupid (insert
your own adjective(s) here) will start coming out.

Not to make light of a sad, serious and tragic situation, but a
collection of media foot-in-mouth statements would make wonderful
reading.