Re: Who said there's no variety these days?

Craig Haber <albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote in message
37CE779E.2305711C@harnessnet.com.au">news:37CE779E.2305711C@harnessnet.com.au...
> Russell Norton wrote:
>
> > Speaking of variety, the other week there were four drivers' in a pub at
> > Parkes, having a beer together after work. Nothing unusual about that,
> > except they all worked for different rail companies (FreightCorp, NRC,
> > GrainCorp, Silverton) !!
>
> Although fragmentation has caused staunch division among a (decreasing as
> attitudes slowly change) number of employees, there are plenty to whom the
> uniform you wear makes little difference.  We're all in the business of
> moving people or stuff by rail......
>
> Regards,
> CH.
> --
> Craig Haber
> albatross@harnessnet.com.au
> http://www.harnessnet.com.au/ch/
> Proofread carefully to see if you any words out

Craig,

If only that were true!!!

That maybe the majority attitude of the crews, but the various managements
see it a little differently.

They are in the business of making money and to achieve this they are trying
to compete against each other instead of the real enemy ROAD.

This is less apparent with the suburban passenger operators, but in the
freight business its "Dog eat Dog".

There is too little business for more than 1 (I'll accept 2) rail operators
whilst the trucking industry is given an unfair advantage.

The level playing field has the rails goal posts at the up hill end of the
ground, and the umpire is one eyed because he every time rail kicks for goal
he moves the posts. Another thread on Road Trains in Victoria is a prime
example of that.

Bob.