Re: Traveling on the XPT

Russell Norton wrote in message <935739554.346666@diddley.primus.com.au>...

>As far as I'm aware, no rail operator has a deal with these airlines, these
>fares are available to anyone that rings up a travel agent.

But they would have some arrangement - all companies who regularly fly there
staff around do.

>I was trying to highlight the expense of first class XPT travel, in
>comparison to other modes of transport, as suggestions to the original
>posting indicated first class XPT seats were the way to go.

As far as XPT travel goes (which is what was being asked) first class IS the
way to go.

>I agree that discounted fares are different to full fares, especially in
>relation to cancelling or altering a booking (you generally can't on any
>discounted fares). However, I wonder how many people in this ng realised an
>airfare, any airfare, would be anywhere near as cheap as the price of an
XPT
>fare, let alone the same as one, for a similar journey.

But it is not the same - it is nowhere NEAR the same. $100 return first
class for a discounted rail fare, $199 for a discounted airfare.

>Obviously, Countrylink needs to review their pricing policy if they wish to
>retain or increase their non-subsidised passenger levels.

Why? Their discounted fares are more than competitive, and in the times when
very few discounted seats are available, the trains are still full.

DaveP