Re: Traveling on the XPT

Russell Norton wrote in message <935628261.675010@diddley.primus.com.au>...

>Unless you qualify for a subsidised fare (which seems to apply to most
first
>class travellers anyway!), full fare 1st class is outrageously expensive.
As
>an example, you can fly from Wagga Wagga to Sydney in one hour, on a
>discounted ticket with Hazleton, for around the same price as a first class
>XPT fare, which takes 6 or so hours for the same journey.

Further to this the cheapest airfare I could find was AUD198 on Hazelton,
involving a 21 day advance purchase - you can get a 14 day advance purchase
in first class on the XPT for AUD100 in offpeak times, or AUD120 at all
times if you book far enough ahead. A 14 day advance purchase on Hazelton is
AUD218.00. These airfares do not include Sydney airport noise tax (not sure
what it is currently).

DaveP