Re: Indian Pacific hits freight train - Who's the Responsible

Maurie Daly wrote:

> I cant see why Cowan Bank is unique.
> Any severe grade in NSW where heavy freight trains are hauled by diesel or
> electric locos would also apply.

Cowan Bank is unique because that is where the train was hit. And sand was the cause.
If a train is hit on Como Bank etc then we would have to investigate it all over
again. Does it mean anything regarding the Cowan incident that the track circuits had
very recently been replaced?

> If we contend that the problem is sand and AC track ccts , ie we are in
> electrified territory, then also the climb up the blue mtns (1:33) worse than
> Cowan, or Como bank on the Illawarra would also be candidates.
> If there is no exclusion , ie DC or AC track ccts cause the problem then there
> are dozens of track cct 1:40 grades where sanding would not be uncommon.

But are they all the same sort of length and traffic flow.

David.