Re: Marinus makes headlines again

Neil Waller wrote:

> > Stephen Devenish wrote:
> > > Heywood to Millicent wasn't really abandoned, but left out for the night and
> > > never allowed back in.  In 1995 when we where regauging down that way the
> > > PTC wanted us to regauge through to Mt. Gambier but the big dollars where
> > > nowhere to be seen and the idea was scrapped.  A number of private investors
> > > have approached us to look at regauging this line, but no money was found.
> > > If they want to reopen it it will have to be regauged and a turnout
> > > installed at Heywood? I cannot remember if it was removed.

The bg turnout was removed on regauging and no sg turnout provided.

> > Who actually owns Mt Gambier to Millicent now? Is it the SA government?
> >
> > With any luck, Heywood will become a triangular junction.
> >
> > Cheers
> > David
>
> The line from the Victoria Border to Millicent (if it goes that far - it
> may only go to the paper works at Snuggery) is owned by the SA
> Government as is the line from Wolseley to Mt. Gambier.   Part of the
> latter is leased to the Limestone Coast Railway, or they at least use
> it.

Having visited the area in recent times, I seem to recall hearing that the sections
operated by the Limestone Coast Railway are ASR controlled but Naracoorte (or
possibly Coonawarra) to Wolseley had been returned to SA govt control. Mark might be
able to help here. The section to the Vic Border is certainly ASR and VicTrack
beyond. The Limestone Coast run trains to Millicent not just Snuggery. We had Car
334 to Millicent and had to return to the triangle at Snuggery to turn before
retracing our steps to Mt Gambier. Our train was only allowed to the level crossing
at the Mt Gambier end of the yard but by now the track into the station should be
available for trains. It is also interesting to note that although ASR controlled,
the Limestone Coast issue their own train orders and also have to manually attend
the former electrically protected level crossings to flag the trains across. Most
other crossings are open. The flashing light equipment seems to be mostly in place
but not working due to power supply disconnection. The group have been quoted to
restore power but finances are a bit of a problem at the moment.

David.