Re: Indian Pacific hits freight train - Who's the Responsible Investigating body?

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
37C56132.7E1B192A@ozemail.com.au">news:37C56132.7E1B192A@ozemail.com.au...
> Dave Malcolm sticks his head in the sand and writes:
>
> > Hear hear, no one seems to take into account the chances of an entire
train of
> > somewhere around 42 axles (2 of which are infront of the sand pipes)
being
> > isolated from the track circuit. I dont care what the inquiry findings
were
> > logic says it's not going to happen.
>
> This train was re-enacted at Chullora and on the Royal National Park line,
and did
> drop of the track circuit a number of times.  The two axles in front of
the sand
> pipes are all well and good... except when the train set back slightly
when trying to
> lift the load.  Not to mention the residue sand left on the tracks by
preceding
> freight trains.  If you were not at the accident scene, or you have not
read the
> report, you are in no position to make "informed" comments.  Sand is a
good
> insulator.  It WILL make a train drop off the track circuit in older track
circuiting
> systems under the right circumstances.  To refuse to believe this is
foolish.

> --
> David Johnson
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

David/Peter.

Well, we have established that sand caused the 3801 prang?

Plenty of sand at Zanthus, but very little track circuiting.

In other words, lets not make "informed" comments (about NRC crews) until we
have read the report!!!

Bob.