Re: On time running of CityRail suburban services

In <37b7f651.13138625@news.ozemail.com.au> ajwright@spam.ozemail.com.au (Ashley Wright) writes:

>  Someone correct me if I am wrong but us I understand it the trains
>are required to stop and wait if ahead at specific stations only.
>Times at other stations are indications only. When I caught trains
>Kings Cross to Rockdale the trains often seem to wait at Martin Place
>when a little early as well a central (but for different reasons).

I've never actually seen this in print, but I think you're right. For
example, a train that's running 5 minutes early on the Illawarra line isn't
going to wait at Allawah station for those 5 minutes since it's a minor,
regularly unattended station. Depending on the direction of travel, the
train would probably wait out the time at either Hurstville or Sydenham.

Happens fairly regularly since trains tend to run a bit ahead of time when
the loading is lighter than the timetable is structured for.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport