Re: Railway Museum or Theme Park?

"WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in aus.rail:

>John Wayman wrote in message <7pkpa7$hgq$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>
>>Should a railway museum display its exhibits to show them as they looked
>>when in service, or are railway museums just railway theme parks for the
>>indulgences of museum workers and the general population?
>
>All of the above. The museums would not get up and running without the
>efforts of the museum workers, most of whom are volunteers. Without them,
>most of the junk they hold (oops, I mean exhibits) would have been scrapped
>ages ago. Surely it is better to have something that is 90% accurate than
>nothing at all?

Honestly, what's the fuss all about? You are arguing about
re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Give it another 100 years
they will all be mounds of rust anyway. The only way you'll be able to
identify a locomotive will be by the size of the mound and the
nameplate (I hope they're in brass)

Who ever wants to pay to get these exhibits out of the open air and
into an enclosed air-conditioned environment can have his name in neon
on every cab side as far as I'm concerned. Any name can easily be
removed but the exhibit has to last.

Les Brown