Re: Badgerys creek rumblings.

David Bennetts <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote in message
37b9e939.0@newshost.pcug.org.au">news:37b9e939.0@newshost.pcug.org.au...
> Always thought that Badgery's Creek was a rather daft choice of location
for
> a second airport, I've always favoured Wilton as a site which wouldn't
> affect so many people for airport noise - it was one of the possible sites
> identified about twenty years ago.  It's only about 15 minutes down the
> freeway from Campbelltown, and it would be an easy job to put in a rail
> connection from the main south.  Augmenting the freeway from 4 to 6 lanes
> from Liverpool south wouldn't be such a huge job nor require property
> resumptions.   With the near completion of the Airport railway, you could
> even run trains connecting Wilton with Sydney (Mascot) - Badgery's would
be
> a nightmare to access by road or rail in comparison.
>
> Regards
>
> David Bennetts
> Canberra

The Wilton option was supported by a lot of people in Wollongong at the
time, including the city council, I think mainly on the basis that it would
provide more employment for the area and it is quicker to get there from
Wollongong than to get to Mascot. The Maldon-Dombarton line would have gone
past the site and the bridge over the Nepean River at Maldon is already half
built, it just needs the centre span put in.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton