Re: 82's Leading Patricks West- Question on 82 cl gear ratios & what about using the Cs and the DLs

> John, for my information and of others, what is the gear ratio of the 82 and
> 90 classes, their maximum speed,  their maximum continuous rating, and their
> maximum rating.
> If I am not mistaken, I think they both have the D87BTR traction motors, and
> AR11 alternators as does the DL class?
The 82's do indeed have the same Traction motors and Main Alternator as
90's. I don't have a 90 class book so I can't quote
the gear ration for them but the 82 class gear ratio is 69:18.
Clyde quote the Maximum speed as 121 kph. Of course Freightcorp
and RSA have a 115 kph on them. I also just found that their
minimum rated speed is 15.4 Kph.

I can't comment on the DL's I did have a look at one when they
were new and they came to Lithgow for fuelling. I quite liked
what I saw. The El's on the other hand I didn't like a whole lot
and a driver at Lithgow that trailed a El on the Mountains
told me that they where no good on the heavy grades.

John MacCallum