Re: Radio Scanners

Hi,

If you are looking sor something not current, the Icom IC-R1 was a magic
little unit. I have one of these units, but the only thing wrong with it
is the keypad is not working at the moment (Can be a real bugger, since
most of the functions are controlled by the keypad!) but this is only due
to it having a very long and a very sorry life, being involved in many
drops and even a minor boating mishap.

It has 100 channels (can be limiting) and does 100khz to 1300mhz in AM,
FM and Wide-FM. So you can sort of double it up as a broadcast receiver,
and even a television audio receiver, as I have done many times.

The receiver is more than adequate in sensitivity, but can get a little
bad as far as intermod (i.e. a number of signals combining and
interfering on the frequency you are listening to) in the CBD during the
day goes, although shouldn't cause too much drama.

Which reminds me, I must get mine fixed :-)

I believe the Icom IC-R10 is the superceding model to it, is only
slightly bigger, but has many more features. Never used one myself, so I
can't comment on it.

Regards
Michael Kurkowski