Re: Radio Scanners

David Rowe wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm thinking about buying a scanner to monitor the railway frequencies. Can
> someone recommend a good quality unit? I would prefer a handheld so that I
> can carry it with me. Any help will be appreciated

I have many scanners.  My first was a Uniden Bearcat 200XLT, which I have now
sold off.  I also use a Yaesu FT-50R with the all frequency modification and a
AOR AR-8000.  The AR-8000 is my favourite scanner, as it has 20 banks of 50
memories, each with a 7 character description.  I save all the channels on my
laptop and just upload banks depending on what state I will be in.  When
gunzelling in NSW, I usually use a Kenwood Commercial unit, or a Shinwa
commercial unit.

Railscan 4 has a lengthy discussion at the front about what scanners to get and
approximate pricings of each.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au