Re: Westlander to Charleville

Michael McDonald <michael.and.colleen.mcdonald@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
7ooj3j$66ehs$1@titan.xtra.co.nz">news:7ooj3j$66ehs$1@titan.xtra.co.nz...
> I  travelled back to Brisbane on it end of March last year.  Booked a 3rd
> class sleeper and had the cabin all to myself.

Forgive my nitpicking but, 3rd class sleepers?? There is an old joke about
two 3rd class sitters on each train (ie: tied to the buffers!!) but I think
you'll find they were 2nd or economy class.

>Didn't test the meals.
> Can't recollect anything out of the ordinary with their pies! (without
> sauce)

Nothing to write home about. I found the food was very middle of the road.
Not great but not awful. I do wish they would not microwave the pies though.
Burgers and sandwiches were fine.

I travelled to Charleville and back about this time last year. The forward
journey was overnight so nothing here to be impressed by. Slept reasonably
ok. I am not a good judge of a comfortable sleeping berth since I always
have trouble sleeping on trains.

I had a little trouble trying to kill 6 hours in Charleville since I chose
not to hire a car (about $92 for the day). Surprisingly, I found a visit to
the Distance Education Unit (school of the air) very interesting.

The trip home was very interesting. The tracks had flooded over at Miles(?)
and we only made it as far as Roma. The train stayed there all night which
meant I got a good nights sleep. I was in no hurry to get home so this delay
did not upset me, especially since QR were unable to make alternate
arrangements.

We left Roma at 8am the next day and I got to see the countryside I would
have normally missed if the train was on time. I found the trip very
relaxing overall.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, QLD