Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

I too have suffered from TranzRail's appallingly customer-unfriendly
checkin methods: slow and causing delays.  Why is it that rail copies the
worst aspects of air travel, rather than capitalising on its own virtues?
Amtrak is no better.  Passengers are locked off platforms until last
minute, with no seat reservations.  On the word go, the gate is open and
they stampede along the platform to be herded into the right carriage by
officious conductors, then battle for a seat.  I really sympathised with
one little old lady with a walking stick when I encountered the system for
the first time.  However, she was more savvy than I realised: when the
barrier opened, she used the stick to nobble the first two in the queue,
then was at the front of the processing, fending off all potential
overtakers with her weapon.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith

M.B. and C.M.McDonald <michael.and.colleen.mcdonald@xtra.co.nz> wrote in
article
The longest delays I have seen there would be no more than 15-20