Re: Tunnels

Hi Stephen,

Demondrille 243 miles 28 chains, on the main south, is the junction for the
Cowra line. Harden is 239 miles 50 chains and Murrumburrah is 241 miles 41
chains. Murrumburrah to Demondrille is a climb of 1:40

It was the former coaling point for steam locos that worked "through"
between Sydney and Albury without changing trains. The opposite to this was
locos that worked "relay" fashion. Trains with relay locos swapped locos at
Goulburn and perhaps Junee than Albury.

This meant  'through' locos had to receive extra coal while still coupled to
their train as tenders did not have enough coal capacity to do the full 401
miles Sydney / Albury.

Demondrille coal stage, opened NOV 1922, was set up on the western [or
Cowra] side of the Albury mail lines. The 70 metre tunnel was built under
the main lines. A southbound train that required coal would branch off to
the left of the southbound mainline and descend to the tunnel that took it
under both main lines. After passing through the tunnel, it was clear to
cross to the coal stage where it coaled and cleaned its fire as well as
watered if need be.The train than regained the southbound mainline by a flat
junction [ie crossed the up mainline on the level by points instead of a
tunnel] on the Junee side of the coal stage.

Lithgow also recoaled locos attached to their trains if required. The
Lithgow stage was an over head chute built over the tracks and perhaps it
could be said to resemble an enclosed over track walk bridge only it had a
coal shovelling front end loader working inside it. [I am not really sure
about Lithgow; corrections welcomed please]

Cheers
Peter Cokley
http://homepages.msn.com/PicnicPl/petan-oz

xDK2NluHBVGg-pn2-iGDOKeGTuQTl@localhost">news:xDK2NluHBVGg-pn2-iGDOKeGTuQTl@localhost...