Re: industrial action by cityrail train guards - 22 july

In article <7oo6ef$2vk4$1@otis.netspace.net.au>,
  "Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> 37AD0521.8E3E7B45@ozemail.com.au">news:37AD0521.8E3E7B45@ozemail.com.au...
> > zambuck@my-deja.com wrote:

> > > during off

> > > procedure and the older type will remain coupled as 8cars for peak
hours
> > > and specials.  Yet the issue of safety or a proactive system in
health
> > > and safety remains let out of the equation.  The fight on lowering
> > > standards to be 'competitive'  (to what?) is killing jobs
> > > paul hayes, (public transport workers rank & file)
> >
> > The question is, what is the RTBU doing to save our jobs?
> >
> > --
> > David Johnson
> > trainman@ozemail.com.au
> > http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
> >

> David,
>
> I agree, however there is an onus on the members to contribute!!!
>
> The Melbourne system operates fine without guards, (well its no worse
than
> with them).
>
> For the record, I am not advicating the removal of guards, thats
something
> for management in NSW to decide.
>
> What I am suggesting is: The Melbourne guards were their own worst
enemies,
> they point blank refused to accept that they would have to need other
> responsibilities to shore up their jobs.
>
> They refused to sell or check tickets, they refused to roam (I must
admit I
> wouldn't like to do that in the Off Peak evenings), in the end they
refused
> to take responsibility for parcels, the list goes on.
>
> If Sydney is to defy the odds they will need to study the mistakes of
> others, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane?? are all DOO. The last
thing
> I, as a worker like to see is that other workers loose their jobs, but
in
> these days of so called global economics the main drive by management
(both
> Government and Private) is to cut costs, you have got to sell yourself
> justify your job. Promises and other statements that guards will be
around
> for 10 or 20 years are rubbish if you can't justify your right to be
there.

> That bet of a $1000 sounds almost inviting<g>
>
> Bob.
>
> Bob,
This was the same position put on station staff by management.  To save
your job you must have that many duties to perform which would in
actual working be illogical.  I was shown the station master duties, it
was nearly as thick as the white pages.  It was nonsensequal.

I disagree with your comments that employees have no choice but to take
on extra duties just to continue the work they are now performing.  It
comes down to reducing quality of service to be competitive.  A prime
example of this is the hospitals.  Many services were removed, not
because they were unjustified, but because their removal made profit.
These nurses thought their jobs were safe.   As many of the public
utilised the service, like the trains.

I agree that unionists need to start to ask many questions about the
role of their union.

Paul Hayes
Public Transport Workers
Rank & File.