Re: Caltrain should be more like Transperth

David Bennetts wrote in message <37ae1dd6.0@newshost.pcug.org.au>...

A few corrections:

>There are currently
>plans to extend BART (the electric underground/above ground San Francisco
>Bay system south to the airport with a convenient connection to Caltrain
>nearby.

Actually, the BART extension is under construction right now.

>The
>transport lobbyists want improvements by shifting the terminal nearer
Market
>Street, and to electrify the line using Multiple unit stock.

EMU is desirable, but not required. It is noted that electric locomotives
have many more horsepower than its diesel counterparts, so changing to
electric locomotives only would still benefit the system.

>The existing
>cars are rather unusual, these are double deck gallery cars, fairly slow to
>load with central doorways and loading from low level platforms, although a
>wheelchair lift is provided in the rear car.

The system is now only using portable manual lifts located at certain
stations. The new cars, also double deck gallery, will have on-board powered
lifts, and will be delivered in the next few months for assembly.

>The railway used to be
>operated by Southern Pacific, but is now operated by the California Dept of
>Transportation.

In 1991, the ownership of the system was transferred from the state to a
local governmental board consisted of the three counties in which the system
runs through. Amtrak is the actual operator, while SamTrans, a local transit
authority of one of the member counties, provides administrative support.

>I had a ride on Caltrain in 97 and look forward to riding it again in
>October - it offers a reasonably frequent, fast and a cheap connection from
>San Francisco  to the airport, providing a free shuttle to the terminal
from
>Millbrae station.

Caltrain basic frequency is:

30 minutes near peak
15 minutes or less on peak at peak directions, some trains are express
60 minutes midday, night
90 to 120 minutes late night
60 minutes Saturday
60 to 120 minutes Sunday