Re: Rail line preservation

In article <934159456.327495@diddley.primus.com.au> "Steven Hurst" <hurste@primus.com.au> writes:
>From: "Steven Hurst" <hurste@primus.com.au>
>Subject: Rail line preservation
>Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:28:37 +1000

>Rod wrote in message (beyond cranbourne thread)

>(about K class loco taken by SGR)
>I certainly hope not!
>Beechworth Railway Society, who are to reopen Beechworth-Everton [?]
>Are very interested in this Loco, and are scampering around trying to raise
>the money from local business!
>Would be shame for it to leave the local area.
>Rod

>    Why is it that restoration groups always seem to restore lines not
>connected to a main line, surely this would be more profitable?  If they
>started at Bowser you could at least have access to locos and rolling stock
>from other organisations, they could then pay to use the line.  Perhaps I am
>missing something?  (Other than the fact that that part of the line is less
>picturesque perhaps).

>regards,

>Steven Hurst
>Melbourne, Australia
>http://home.primus.com.au/hurste/rail
>Visit my Broadmeadows Railway Line Website...
>http://home.primus.com.au/hurste/bmsl

Unfortunately , most preservation groups arnt rolling in funds and the cost of
simply connecting the old bright Line to the main line at Bowser, ie the set
of BG points,the grade crossing of the SG line ,associated interlocking
equipment ,ie switch locked points  in the minimum case ,the  nearby road
crossing of the old Hume Highway and crossing of the Hume Freeway would wipe
out any preservations groups funds for ever.
Anywhere from $200K to around $1M if indeed the Vic Govt
would allow the freeway to be crossed with a rail line.

MD

cost
anywhere from$100K to around $300K depending on what standards FV and ARTC
demanded forthe track infrastructure