Re: Berwick, General Motors and Spotswood was: status - beyond Cranbourne ?

Yuri J Sos/Melbourne <steam4me@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
37ad9f4e.2434440@news.enternet.com.au">news:37ad9f4e.2434440@news.enternet.com.au...

> On 7 Aug 1999 01:49:31 GMT, cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin
> GORDON) wrote, and I selectively quote:

> >Spotswood is in the same class as Berwick, General Motors.  they will
> >be removed soon.I know General Motors is being removed this weekene
> >are they removing Berwick at the same time?

AFAIK Berwick - not this weekend.  Spotswood was going to take awhile a/c
late circuit design. (story a few months old though).

> Well, that'll put paid to any thoughts of a return of the sand train -
> that was 2-3 trains a week (1000 tonnes?):  oh well the roads need the
> extra pummelling.

> This would have to cast some doubt on an FV revival of the Sth
> Gippsland line as the sand train would have contributed quite some
> revenue.

Ahh yes, but if FV was serious about running a lean operation, why have a
box at Spotswood? They could just use a single trailing turnout into the
siding, secured with a switchlock. (Just like a few of the really small
sidings on the eastern line were).

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.