The reply from the Minister Of Transport (VIC)

See below the letter I received from the Minister about being unable to buy
1+2+3 daily ticket from a 7-11 store.
The Minister does say that you can travel without a ticket if there is a
malfunction of the TVM.
But what about if I can't get the ticket required, I guess I will travel
without one, but make sure I have a copy of this letter with me at all times
in case I am challenged by ticket inspectors.
I have removed the reference number and my address for security purposes.
Regards.
I refer to your e-mail of 28 June 1999 concerning the availability of
tickets for travel on public transport following the introduction of the
Automated Ticketing (AT) system.

Your comments have been noted.  The Public Transport Corporation (PTC) has
entered into a contract with Onelink Transit Systems (OLT) for the supply,
installation, maintenance and management of the Automated Ticketing (AT)
system for use on all services (train, tram and bus) in the metropolitan
area.

Smaller TVMs which have a limited range of tickets and only accept coins,
have been installed on trams for customer convenience in the event that a
customer needs to travel unexpectedly and requires the convenience of an
on-board purchase.  If larger TVM's with a full range of tickets were on
board trams it would certainly impede the flow of customers through the
vehicle, as well as occupy additional space needed to accommodate
travellers during peak hour journeys.

Sixty one Premium Stations across the metropolitan network will also
continue to be staffed from first to last train with the remaining stations
staffed on an as required basis.  Larger Ticket Vending Machines (TVM's)
installed at stations accept a range of coins and notes as well as a direct
debit facility (including all City stations).

As part of implementing the AT system, an extensive network of retail agents
has been established to provide customers with easy access to pre-purchase
their ticket prior to boarding a Met service.

It is the responsibility of each agent (ie the proprietor of the business)
to maintain a stock level of tickets relevant to customer demand.

Should a customer be unable to purchase a ticket due to a malfunctioning
TVM, they should continue their journey and purchase and validate a ticket
at their first available opportunity.  The PTC has procedures in place
whereby any person detected travelling without a ticket under these
circumstances will not receive a penalty.

Thank you for your interest in this matter and I trust when you next visit
Melbourne you will find the ticketing system to be more convenient for your
use.

Yours sincerely

ROBIN COOPER
MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT