Re: Transrapid abandons Sydney-Canberra

Maarten Deen <mdeen@xs4.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> w_keller@gmx.de (Wolfgang Keller) writes:
>
> >You don't need to assume any (wrong, in your case) numbers to know that
> >the TR _can not_ run faster than a 'conventional' train.
>
> The numbers I assumed have been taken from the planning of the line
> Hamburg-Berlin.

The whole comparsison is complete, excuse me for using this word,
bullshit.

As usual, the TR lobbyists compare apples and lightbulbs. Both were made
for entirely different things.

Claiming that, as the TGV runs at a v_max of 300 km/h, no rail vehicle
could ever run faster (if it was necessary) makes at about as much sense
as claiming that, as 3 is an integer and it is prime, all integers must
be prime. Complete nonsense, obviously.

Again:

How fast _any_ land vehicle can run is just a question of how much
traction power you put into it. How fast it _makes sense_ to run it in
commercial service is another, comepletely different, question. Both
questions are basically independent of the guiding system of the
vehicle.

> >How fast _any_ land vehicle can run is just a question of how much
> >traction power you put into it. How fast it _makes sense_ to run it in
> >commercial service is another, comepletely different, question. Both
> >questions are basically independent of the guiding system of the
> >vehicle.
>
> I wonder if that's true.

Get some basic information (not from glossy promotion brochures) about
the _facts_, then you'll know it.

> Wheel-rail friction is eliminated whith a maglev
> system.

It is replaced by magnetic friction. And the sustention/guiding system
of the TR generates at least as much drag as the wheel-rail system.

BTW: Some rail vehicles use something pretty similar to the
sustionsion/guiding system of the TR for _deccelerating_.

> Doesn't this mean less friction overall?

No.

--
Wolfgang Keller

Zu Risiken und Nebenwirkungen von Junkmail lesen Sie
de.admin.net-abuse.mail und fragen sie Ihren Postmaster oder Provider