Re: Transrapid abandons Sydney-Canberra

w_keller@gmx.de (Wolfgang Keller) writes:

>Maarten Deen <mdeen@xs4.xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> If that's the case, and assuming some numbers,

>You don't need to assume any (wrong, in your case) numbers to know that
>the TR _can not_ run faster than a 'conventional' train.

The numbers I assumed have been taken from the planning of the line
Hamburg-Berlin. If these numbers are false in your eyes, I would like
to ask you to start the discussion with the planning organisation of
this line. I do not have the time or the detailed knowledge to
discuss this point.

>How fast _any_ land vehicle can run is just a question of how much
>traction power you put into it. How fast it _makes sense_ to run it in
>commercial service is another, comepletely different, question. Both
>questions are basically independent of the guiding system of the
>vehicle.

I wonder if that's true. Wheel-rail friction is eliminated whith a maglev
system. Doesn't this mean less friction overall?

Maarten
~