Re: Tunnels

In article <7oao6t$8i0$1@mirv.unsw.edu.au>,
  G.Lambert@unsw.edu.au (Geoff Lambert) wrote:
> cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin GORDON) wrote:
>
> >: I was just wondering about all the tunnels in Australia and in
Victoria
> >: specifically, Is there a list/photos on-line?
>
> There is a booklet, "Tunnels on Australian Railways", published in
> 1972 by Austral Press, author William A. Bayley.
>
> NSW & Qld too many to list here, probably > 100 between them.  They
> often come in bunches, 10 in a row at Lithgow, 4 at Cowan Bank.
>
> Tasmania: Rhyndaston, Tunnel (yeah right, the "Tunnel tunnel"),
> Argent, Spray, reputedly 1 on the early NMLR,
>
> Vic: see other posters

Others not mentioned so far, on private lines:
  Australian Portland Cement had a tunnel in their Fyansford line.  IIRC
this was the longest in Victoria, but not sure of that.
  The "bump" tunnel beyond Powelltown on the timber tramway.

> SA: Sleeps Hill (more than 1), +?
I am sure there were more than one on that stretch.  Also Dowds Hill
tunnel on the (then) 3'6" gauge Peterborough Division.  Bypassed when
the line was converted to SG.

--
John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway