Re: Sydney Airport Rail Service

I once worked out that a particular point near Glenfield junction was the
following distances from Sydney:

Via East Hills            32.03km
Via Regents Park    37.34km (= EH + 5.31km)
Via Granville             40.92km (= EH + 8.89km OR RP + 3.58km)

>Wolli Creek Junction (via NSR)     9.6km (passing beneath Illawarra line
per NSR EIS)
 Wolli Creek Junction  (and Sydenham)
                            ?(someone need to check the km on a stanchion
(note spelling!!!)
>Turella (via Sydenham)                    8.63km
>East Hills                                        24.02km (the original
East Hills station)
>Glenfield (via East Hills)                33.01km
 Glenfield (via Granville)                  41.09km
>Campbelltown                                51.01km (via RP)
>Glenlee Junction                            37&3/4miles = 60.4km (via
Granville)

(use another grain of salt.)

Except for the NSR EIS figure, the rest are from the 11/09/88 suburban
timetables book and the Glenlee which is from ancient curvature and gradient
diagrams.

Projected speed limits on the NSR                80km is a safe bet.  May be
a little lower in

places but I doubt higher.

>Line speeds Wolli Creek Junction to Glenlee Junction
A bloody hotch potch but these should do you:
The East Hills amplification EIS states minimums of 80km/h Wolli Creek
Junction to Bardwell Park, 100km/h Bardwell Park to Salt Pan Creek (when the
fast lines are built).
Should be 115km/h Salt Pan Creek to Panania except for road overbridge at
Revesby which is 70km/h!!!!!!!!!!
140km/h Panania to up side of East Hills
160km/h from up side of East Hills to last curve before Glenfield Junction
Glenfield junction 100km/h for XPTs (& EMUs?)
Glenfield Junction to Macarthur, minimum 115km/h
Macarthur to Glenlee about 90km/h due to a 760m radius curve.

Macarther traight/diverge speeds at Wolli Creek Junction (when complete) and
Glenfield
Don't know.

>Crossover/turnout speeds at Glenfield, Ingleburn and Campbelltown
(see above)

Chris

----------------------------

David Bromage wrote in message <37A6BFE1.FD72E83B@omni.com.au>...
>Chris Downs wrote:
>>
>> The station distances from Central per the NSR EIS (take these with a
grain
>> of salt) are:
>>
>> Green Square        just over 2.8km
>> Mascot                   5.15km
>> KSA Dom              6.5km (probably more like 6.7km as the EIS shows a
>> different
>>                                             station position to the one
>> constructed)
>> KSA Inter               a little under 8.2km
>> Wolli Ck IC             just over 9.5km
>>
>> It doesn't tie in distances at Turrella.
>
>I'm going to try to work out possible running times for airport express
>trains if a second airport was built at either Badgerey's Creek or Wilton.
>I'd be garteful if somebody could add the following distances to the lost:
>
>Wolli Creek Junction (via NSR and Sydenham)
>Turella (via Sydenham)
>East Hills
>Glenfield (via East Hills and Granville)
>Campbelltown
>Glenlee Junction
>
>Projected speed limits on the NSR
>Line speeds Wolli Creek Junction to Glenlee Junction
>Straight/diverge speeds at Wolli Creek Junction (when complete) and
Glenfield