Re: 4 R's one train any way possible

snip
>Now that Vic is slowly loosing their gauge to standard, well then new and
>improved ideas will have to be thought of as people will not travel on a
>normal steam train to the one desternation each time.

Has anyone investigated standard gauging the R class fleet? I understood
they were designed to be "easily" converted. This would certainly expand
interest and range of destinations!

little snip

>Look how large the American Rail Network as grown.
>Their excursion trains are well past twenty cars long and they have as many
>loco's as they can find to put on the train.

I once bought a ticket to ride behind N&W A 1218, in "car 1". Car 1 was 13
cars from the front, including the crew/tool baggage car...... all the
intervening cars were privately owned cars, some by railfan "chapters",
others by individuals. Whole train was at least 20 cars long, and booked
out. Still didn't stress the A however. I would buy a ticket to ride behing
4 R's, preferably in the first car, however numbered.

>We have to be special and create exciting railfan tours to attract people
>for this may be the only way in the future that steam will survive,

Right on bro'