Re: Interstate Platform at Seymour

David wrote in message <01be8c87$b374c340$826760cb@pentium>...

>David D Wrote in  article
>
>It would be so easy to do but people always find problems with everything
>that is suggested.
>When you think about it, this theory has already been done with the
>crossing of the
>BG over the standard gauge and in to loco and S.R.H.S  ( note they are even
>dual gauge) so I cant see the problem. It is highly unlikely that three
>passenger trains will want to use the two platforms at the one time. If
>there is then you just hold one for a matter of minutes, not long at all.
>The other main line will still be there for passing traffic, only the XPT
>and specials need use the platform road.
>
>This could help Seymour so much but no one wants to do anything.
>
>Look at Perth.  Dual gauge for miles, no problem there!
>Reg
>David

Vic Track has a problem with dual gauge, the distance between the two
closest rails.
They allow the SG to run at normal track speed...perhaps 115 kph, and limit
the BG to 65 kph !
This is because this small gap could be easily filled with house bricks or
even a short length of rail, which almost certainly would derail the BG
train. Perth and Queensland have a much larger gap [3'6---4'8.5]
SA with triple gauged track, did not seem to think this way, as My friend
Pete has photos of a train containing both BG and SG Rolling Stock
travelling at speed on dual gauge track !!
I think he said Port Augusta ?? Anyone know if this is right??