Re: Interstate Platform at Seymour

>>Visit my train pic website at:
>Hey Mark David is partially right here the problem is in fact that you
>cannot  lay shared rail dual gauge (BG-SG) for the pedantics using
>rail any heavier than 49 KGM due to the width of the rail foot if you
>try you will find that when you place the two rails together at the
>correct gauge then you will be unable to dogspike between the two
>adjacent rails the only way to do it with 60 KGM rail is to lay both
>gauges separately IE no shared rail !!
>Regards Paul Johnston

Hey Paul,
                When I used to work in Melba. I visited Spotswood Rail Butt
Welding Yard ??
And they were welding up 107 Lb rail [56kg ??]  for West Footscray. They
apparently were or had replaced the West Footscray Junction Crossovers, and
needed heavy Dual Gauge Rail. They trimmed the foot of the rail, welded it
together and using special base plates, which allowed dog spikes  only to
the plates and  normal spring clips to either side [not in the middle]  just
like they used on all other heavy rail in Victoria.   I suppose if you have
the willpower there will always be a way.....have a look at the Seymour
Turntable, and try to imagine dual gauge using 4 separate rails to retain
symmetry in turning.